Thursday, December 26, 2013

Believe, work, achieve - What I learned from my last birth

I gained a lot from my youngest daughter's birth*.  This was my 4th birth, and the previous 2 had been natural. It was and is important to me for several reasons. I believe it is the healthiest for myself and my baby, it doesn't interrupt or numb vital and fascinating hormone activity going on within a laboring body, and I can labor and push more effectively since I can move my body around. I recover much better and it puts me more in control, aware, and a part of this beautiful and powerful experience that I definitely don't want to numb while I play cards or play on the computer like I did with my first birth. 
Birth is hard work, no doubt, both physically but also mentally. Other than educating myself deeply on all the mechanics of birth, I didn't particularly prepare for my 2nd and 3rd, just used a midwife, and breathed deeply and did my best to keep calm. I had great births, much better than my first medicated and everything but a c-section delivery, but I knew there could be even better. I knew I could have less fear and more control. Fear can crush you.

So I got to work training my mind. I looked into and purchased a Hypnobabies program and learned to train my mind and body calm, but more importantly, programmed myself to believe that all was well, I was capable, and that my birth would go smoothly and that I would handle it well. There is much more to it than that, but the biggest thing I gained was positive affirmations. Daily positive affirmations crush fear. I knew I could do it and that all would be well. I never exposed myself to negative birth stories or videos. Any fear or doubt I exposed myself to could have snuck into my subconscious. Now before you think me irresponsible, I was and am very educated in all things birth and I surrounded myself with qualified midwives, who are so very smart and wise with birthing mothers and babies.  More so than doctors in my opinion save truly high risk situations.  Midwives know what to watch for and see any complications before they are a problem and then care appropriately. I knew they would take care of us if needed, but it was my body that would do this important work and I trained my mind to know that this is what my body was designed for and that it would. 
And you know what?  It did!  I had the most controlled and comfortable birth I had had yet. I never lost it, never wanted out. I did it!

I was so empowered and inspired by this and have taken into other aspects of my life the last two years. Particularly with racing. I simply believe in a particular goal and that my body can do these things and that I'll handle anything I need to along the way, and I do. I work hard of course, educate myself, and surround myself with people who know what they're doing, can help me, and inspire and lift me. Just like with my births. 
Believe you are strong, believe in your goals, post them saying 'I can or am or will do x' before it happens, and keep repeating them and other positive affirmations daily. Surround yourself only with good and go out and work hard and enjoy yourself!

* http://jlmtk.blogspot.com/2012/02/ellas-birth-story.html

1 comment:

thansen85 said...

Hello,
I am a mother of 7 who was a stay at home,but has gone back to work due to my husband’s disability.I am also going to school to get my associates degree. I live in Riverton Utah.

I have done 3 tri sprint triathlons, but took last year off due to work and going to school. I really enjoyed doing them and miss doing them. I would love get at least one in this year, but am trying to find the time to fit the training in.

I also have some weight I would like to lose,part of the reason I started the sprint triathlons. I was wondering what you eat meal wise while you are training. I think food is my biggest issue. What to eat, when to eat before or after training and what to eat just plain and simple every day.
I noticed while training I wanted to eat more , but am unsure of the right things to keep me full and lose weight.

I love looking through your blog and see what you have used during your triathlons. I am looking at getting a pair of the Altra shoes as finances come available. I know firsthand shoes are important.

Any tips or suggestion you have would be great.

Have fun on your next adventure.