Sunday, June 27, 2010

Interesting observations

Read the after comment at the bottom of this post
Before I post about Rockcliff (waiting on pictures), I thought I'd just write for a bit.

I don't really have an organized way to write about this, so I'll just throw out what's been on my mind. I don't know what I want in this whole triathlon world. I don't expect to go pro, sure it would be cool to travel the world racing, get to race the worlds best, get paid to do it, but I don't know that it's realistic as a mom who wants to be there with her kids. They come first. Now I'm not saying there aren't some fantastic pro triathlete moms out there, but they have sponsorship that pays a lot of the bills so someone can help with their kids while they train, and I do not. I depend on my husband for that, and he likes to see me once in a while, not just the kids while I go off and train. I don't expect to win Ironman one day, I can be happy without that. I don't know what I want.
Oh wait, yes I do. As I sit here watching Ironman Coeur d'Alene live online right now I want my time in the finish chute again and I want to hear "You are an IRONMAN" and actually see myself in the footage. Sure, the ASI guys did an awesome job somehow editing the two guys in front of me out, but I never got to hear my name and those famous 4 words and didn't get any kind of clear footage going through the chute, even though I waited back for them to go through first. They decided to slow down. So that's what I want. I want to do Ironman again and I want some decent finish line time :)

Yesterday at Rockcliff as I was getting my bike out of transition after the race, the awesome security guy I've made friends with asked how I did, and I said 3rd Overall. A lady nearby said "really? 3rd?! I wish it was that easy for me". Meaning that it wasn't hard to go that fast. Are. You. Kidding. Me? I'm not at all trying to be mean to her, but I've heard this misconception before. No one should think racing faster doesn't hurt. It sure does! I think what makes someone fast is being able to run at that threshold pace for a longer time and endure through it. That involves proper technique, and years of building up speed, muscle, and endurance. Genetics have have a part too, but much more of it comes from years of experience both in learning with our minds and our bodies. I just recently read that it takes close to 5 years or something (it was years) to build real elite level endurance. I feel bad when I hear newbies upset because they aren't at that level and they've been doing it for a whole year or two now. IT TAKES TIME! Be patient with your body, give it time, and respect your elders :)

Another experience from yesterday involves one of the owners of PowerTri.com, David Warden. What an upstanding guy! He is an elite level racer and elite coach and such a great guy. He just finished an 6 race streak (in 6 weeks). Last week he was penalized for the first time ever because he crossed the double yellow line. The guy totally took it like a man and wrote about his experience. This week? He DQ'd himself! That's right. He got lost of the course, took a wrong turn, and when he realized it had the gumption to turn himself in to the officials so that the 4th place man could have his rightful time in the top 3. Did anyone know he made the wrong turn? No. Did he still race crazy fast regardless and earn a place in the top 3? Yes. Top racers even disagreed with him turning himself in, but David's just not that kind of guy. He is an amazing example of sportsmanship and integrity. I'm so honored to be associated with him. He's a great example of humor too, I love to read his articles. Read his latest post about the self DQ here.

So now it's time to go spend time with the family. I can't wait to watch my sweet Cindi friend cross the finish line at Ironman Coeur d'Alene soon. Someone please, please take my credit card away!

*I just wanted to clarify something real quick. Based on the comments I think I gave the impression that I was out for attention and 'look at me I'm fast' or something. Totally not what I was after. I was hoping to help others feel good about what they're doing because we're all hurting. Some people feel bad when they see others who may make it look easier and are faster, I just wanted to convey that everyone is working hard out there, fast or faster :) Keep doing what you're doing. Everyone should be proud of themselves if they're taking care of their bodies and having fun. *

6 comments:

Sarah Jarvis said...

Well, I know how you feel. I am glad someone out there is having the same struggles and joys of triathlon+motherhood. I really hope you get to do another Ironman in the not too distant future and keep up all the awesome racing and training.
It always makes me smile when people think just because we are fast means it is easy for us. They have no idea. In some ways, yes, it is easier cause we get done earlier but we sure give it all we have out there! Or at least try to!
Have a great time camping and checking out Scofield!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the "observations", I have been in my head a lot since Saturday, and I am starting to come to grips with what happened. Thanks for your support, trust me I never take for granted the accomplishment of an athlete such as yourself, Jameson or Grant. I can only aspire and continue to train.

Nurse Heidi said...

What, you mean you actually sweat while you're blazing past everyone ;)? I thought you were perfect....there goes the bubble :(. Kidding aside, you work DANG hard and I know that. If I even put half the time in that you do, I know I could be quite a bit faster, so I appreciate the drive you have all the more.

Loved David's blog posts - hilarious, classy and an excellent sportsman. What a great example to the rest of us of how to handle such situations.

Leslie said...

Steven and Heidi, and any hiding stalkers :) Please read the comment I just put in at the bottom of the post

Unknown said...

Leslie, no clarification needed, I understood and appreciated what you were saying.

Unknown said...

Leslie, now it's my turn to stalk. You are an amazing athlete. Thanks for the kind words on my blog. It's great to get advice from a true professional. I agree with your comment about David Warden he is an upstanding guy!