Saturday, June 27, 2009

A humbling, giving back weekend - Healing day 14

I volunteered at USTrisports Rockcliff Triathlon today. I don't think I've volunteered before, but it was a good experience. Nice not to have to remember all my gear and get everything ready race day, fun to watch everyone race, and really rewarding to answer questions and offer help, especially those who are new to the sport. I had a lot of really nice people ask about me and my lame situation as well. I was placed at the transition area, by myself most of the race. I was there from 6:30am-11:30am. A long day for sure, and I felt bad getting back so late to the family (we camped at Rockcliff that night).

These guys did a great job with the race and as fun as it was to volunteer, it really sucked not doing the race. Amazing course I've yet to do, and stellar prizes. Like 1st place for instance (which I could've been in the running for) won $60 to PowerTri, a triathlon store in Lehi, concert tickets, and a free entry into Daybreak. They were giving away lots of Hammer products too. I can really use stuff like that!

Anyway, later that afternoon I put on the wetsuit and attempted an open water swim. I was really looking forward to it. I haven't done any cardio at all in 2 weeks.
Don't you just love my kids in their caps and goggles (their idea btw)
Unfortunately, it just didn't work. The ortho doc was firm in his statement of "any discomfort at all means you're doing too much" and I believe him. Because of the buoyancy of the wetsuit I didn't need to kick, but just the motion from being in the water was too much. I swam maybe 200 yards and had to call it good. I was hurting pretty good. I didn't need them getting in, but this must've been a funny sight to an onlooker (I only put the crutches in like 6 inches of water Heidi, promise I didn't hurt them!)
I was so hoping it'd work! I miss jumping in a lake and taking off feeling strong and fast with strong arms and a fast kick. I miss that so much. Getting the wetsuit off was horrible! My husband helped me, but pulling it off just put too much stress on the bones and ligaments pulling on the bone. I won't try the wetsuit again for at least 2-3 weeks. I'll try a pull buoy in the pool on monday, but I'm not holding out a ton of hope. I think I'm just going to have to wait another week and see if things are any better.

Makes me think about putting the screw in. Just a better chance everything heals up well. But I really worry about not liking the screw 10, 20, 30 years down the road. You hear people say it is uncomfortable, painful, or they can feel it. I don't know, any advice? I just hope the 4 week xrays look better.

I really wrestled with whether or not to do BAM. I was worried about the weather, and it was a more expensive race to enter, but I wanted to race in those neat venues and see the atmosphere I'd heard so much about that these race directors put out. After volunteering at Rockcliff and seeing the race though I'm just kicking myself. I tell myself "if I'd listened to my instinct and not done BAM I wouldn't have a broken foot, could've saved $25, could've scored some sweet totally useful prizes Rockcliff offered, and I'd still have a whole season in front of me". The whole foot breaking thing was not a direct result of that particular course (BAM), but if I'd just listened maybe I wouldn't be in this whole mess. What good came out of BAM? I mean I met some great people, had a good swim and bike, but not so good it was worth breaking my foot. Any words for me?

1 comment:

Megan said...

Sorry the swimming was a bust. But think of all the patience you're going to develop because of this trial!